- National Focus
- Executive Level 2
- Dynamic Environment
Reporting to the Group Executive, Enterprise Services, provides strategic oversight and direction of communication with our customers, partners and stakeholders. The General Manager Communications will be responsible for enabling a deep, trusted and enduring engagement of the Bureau with the Australian community, with our people in all Bureau offices across Australia, and with government stakeholders. They will play a key role in ensuring that the Bureau brand is the most trusted, reliable and authoritative source of weather, climate, water and ocean information in Australia.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop, implement and monitor an internal and external enterprise communications Program;
- Implement a strategic and proactive approach to engage with traditional and social media;
- Foster trusted relationships with parliamentary and government stakeholders;
- Establish learning and competency standards for staff who deliver services through media and digital channels and support the delivery of these standards through appropriate training and development;
- Sustain and deploy enterprise capability in videography production and visual design; and
- Lead the Bureau's enterprise capability to design and implement awareness, education, and other relevant campaigns.
The successful candidate also plays a key role in leading and influencing the strategic direction of the Bureau of Meteorology. In this role they will:
- exemplify customer-focus as the heart of everything that we do;
- practice inclusive leadership and relentless enterprise collaboration in support of delivering outcomes against the Bureau's strategic pillars of Impact and Value, Operational Excellence, Innovation and Insight, and the Bureau Way;
- demonstrate sound judgement and capitalise on innovative alternatives to resolve complex problems;
- challenge the status quo when required; and demonstrate resilience and personal accountability for the quality of advice and delivery of results.
To be a strong contender for the role you will need to have demonstrated a track record of achievement in outcomes within a knowledge based or service organisation working across multiple geographies. You will also have the leadership qualities to underpin and develop further the Bureau’s strong sense of purpose and mission in service of the Australian community.
As an outstanding people leader in complex and dynamic operating environments, you will have a demonstrated capacity to lead an enterprise communications function that will enhance, amplify and streamline the voice of the Bureau to our staff, customers, partners and stakeholders, consistent with our Strategy 2017-2022.
The successful candidate will be able to point to outstanding success in leadership, including developing high performing teams and working successfully with peers. You will also clearly demonstrate that you can positively contribute to the overall senior leadership of the Bureau.
To apply for this role please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference number JO-1912-98819 in the subject line of your email. For a confidential discussion, please contact Natasha Diamond on (03) 9929 9556. For a copy of the PD, please email Olivia O’Shea at email@example.com. Please note that our offices will be closed for the holiday season from 23rd December 2019, returning 6th January 2020.
RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job. For more information see: http://www.apsc.gov.au/priorities/disability/recruitability.
About Bureau of Meteorology
The Bureau of Meteorology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants who are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, come from non-English speaking backgrounds or have a disability may wish to indicate this in their application so that the selection advisory committee can be appropriately structured. We are looking for highly qualified/experienced people who are interested in working in a dynamic organisation that offers a challenging work environment and excellent opportunities for development and advancement.