- Critical leadership role driving strategy and policy across the Department
- Influence future system wide reforms which improve outcomes for all Victorians
- Remuneration package $360K - $479K and 5 year contract
The Department of Education & Training (DET) brings together a range of services for Victorian children, young people and adults - including early childhood development, school education from Prep to Year 12 right through to higher education and skills. With a vision for Victoria as the Education State, government is investing significantly and focusing on educational excellence, equity and the opportunity to engage in lifelong learning.
The Policy, Strategy and Performance (PSP) group supports the Department to maintain its intensive focus on delivery, performance and engagement in order to achieve the Education State reform agenda and the Department's strategic intent. The primary purpose of the PSP Group is to set system-level education policy by leading priority projects, policies and service support functions that shape and respond to the Victorian Government's narrative for reform in early childhood education, schools, and post school education.
The Deputy Secretary, Policy, Strategy and Performance (PSP) is a pivotal leadership role for the Department. Managing a group of approximately 200 staff to bring together the Department's strategic planning, data and evidence, and program management office functions, it aligns the Department's policy and delivery priorities with organisational strategy, budget strategy and business planning. The PSP Group is a central hub for frameworks and standards for data, evaluation, system performance and accountability to influence and drive improved outcomes for Victorians.
The Deputy Secretary will assume Group accountability for:
- Leading the Department's strategic policy direction and reforms to improve the learning and development outcomes of children and young people from early years through schooling, including system priorities to inform budget strategy
- Leading the Department's strategic policy direction and reforms for the education workforces and providing definitive advice and analysis on workforce policy and supply, including system priorities to inform budget strategy.
- Delivering a high-level strategic management and service support function for DET including intergovernmental relations and strategy, risk management, business continuity, planning, compliance and reporting, governance and secretariat support to some of the Department's key governance committees.
- Providing strategic advice on national policy and funding issues in early childhood education and care and school education and working across the Department on the development, implementation and reporting on intergovernmental agreements.
- Leading the Department's collection, analysis and dissemination of high quality evidence, including measurement design, monitoring of outcomes, and conduct and oversight of evaluations, to influence decision making across DET, government agencies and service providers to improve outcomes for children, young people and adult learners
- Supporting the Secretary, Education State Board and Executive Board to govern the successful delivery of projects and programs with a focus on organisational priorities and High Value / High Risk projects as well as delivering mentoring and support services for project staff through a Project Management Centre of Excellence.
Reporting to the Secretary and being an active contributor at the DET Executive Board, you will effectively lead the PSP Group providing vision and direction to staff. This role will ensure the provision of strategic advice on national policy and funding issues in early childhood education and care and school education, managing key partnership arrangements and supporting senior executive participation in governance bodies on behalf of the Department.
A well respected executive within the public sector, you bring extensive experience in working closely with Ministers, and a proven ability to provide expert advice to inform strategic direction, policy development and investment decisions. As a transformational leader, you thrive in challenging and changing environments, and leverage your organisation awareness and strategic skills to address underlying problems, opportunities and external forces.
You regard your political acumen, complex stakeholder management and interpersonal skills as key strengths and enjoy the challenges and rewards which come from leading a high profile portfolio within the public sector. As part of a high performing leadership team, this is an opportunity not to be missed in Victoria.
For further information please download (copy & paste): https://bit.ly/3vSyKI0, or to apply, visit www.davidsonexecutive.com.au and upload your resume. For a confidential discussion, please contact Jarrod McLauchlan on 0407 808 517 or Vanessa Huxley 0417 708 112 from Davidson Executive.
Department of Education and Training is committed to diversity. The Department places considerable effort and resources into responding to the needs of staff with a disability. People from disadvantaged groups are encouraged to apply for this position. If you require assistance, with the recruitment process, have accessibility or adjustment requirements, please communicate with the contact Davidson Executive.